Monday, October 13, 2008

How do you grocery shop?


I confess, I am one of those people who goes to the grocery store and basically only buys the items that are on sale. My favorite cereal isn't on sale? Guess I'm getting the one that is! (But I will splurge on that good cheese, yes I will!!!)

This is probably due to how I was raised. My mom had an index card file that was categorized where she would keep her coupons. My sister and I would help her clip all those coupons, then place them in the pertaining category in that file, at the same time removing any expired coupons. Though I know she doesn't do this anymore, it was pretty brilliant.

Unfortunately, so far since I've been on my own, I do not do the coupon thing. Coupons in the mail or paper...you're going in the trash (save the Linens 'n Things 20% coupon though!). I don't know why I never before thought about the coupon thing. Part of me didn't want to be that one at the grocery store holding people up while the cashier scans her 80 coupons.
But you know what? Who cares. Frugality = good. Saving more money = good. Especially in the financial crisis we're in today. And, the other part of me is...laaaaaazzzzyyy.

These thoughts have been consuming my head ever since I watched an episode on Oprah the other day about saving money, not using credit cards, etc. One guest they had on, known as Coupon Mom, shared tips on saving money at the grocery store. Easy thing that anyone can do. They followed her on a grocery store trip and she purchased $150 worth of goods...but only spent $60 something after coupon savings!!!!! Oh and, coincidentally, the day after I saw that show I ran across this great blog and her posts about all her shopping savings. If that's not enough inspiration, I don't know what is.

So, I'm going to start pushing myself that extra little bit to clip those coupons, or to find them online whenever I'm going to buy something. I figure it'll not only save my bank account and my sanity, but be a real saver in tough times (oh and, extra money to do more fun things!). Oh yeah, and pay off that dang credit card. And I think all that applies to every single person...no matter if you make $8/hour or $800/hour (Um, I wish!). Hey if you make that much money, you should be giving to charities and your extra coupon saving self and donate even more ;)

6 comments:

sarah marie p said...

John and I are sooo bad. We have been eating out like every single night -- and I eat our for lunch every single day. Not only do I need to clip coupons -- I just need to make it to the grocery store! This week we're giving ourselves the goal of only eating out once M to F and once over the weekend. Oh, and packing our lunch three times a week.

Jenn said...

aw, yay! i'm glad i could be an inspiration - especially considering that i'm so new to hard-core couponing and just really learning it myself! it is SO addicting once you have that first big trip - and watch the numbers drop down. you will be hooked!!

alyssa said...

Sarah,
I know what you mean!!! Now that my house is further away, I tend to forget to bring lunch and end up having to buy it. And then I get mad at myself later. Grrr!

BeanPickleSprout said...

Great post! I am going to take your lead and put forth more effort to do the coupon thing. Half of the time I clip them, I end up forgetting them at home only to remember I had them once I am in the checkout line - agh!

*CPA* Su said...

My mom had one of those coupon systems too...and I've totally inherited it. Well, I'm not so great about clipping them for the grocery store, but you better believe I don't buy a single thing at LNT, BB&B, Joann's or Michael's without a coupon in hand! P.S. And a lot of peeps don't know that some like stores will take competitors coupons (i.e. LNT & BB&B coupons are interchangable!) I should jump on the grocery store coupon band wagon too! Oh, but I am like you...if it's not on sale, it's not coming home with me! =)

Unknown said...

I go to Trader Joes and it's a pretty good deal. Any time I cut a coupon, I end up forgetting about it when I get to the register :-/