Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I hope.

How boring would life be if we all had the same thoughts, ideas and opinions? What if we lived in a country where we could not voice our opinions; where we didn't have the RIGHT to vote? What if you were told how to live?

I think most of us would not choose not to live that way. What is beautiful about here, in the US, is that we have those freedoms. What's ugly about here is that people abuse that right in order to hurt other people (not always purposefully).

I wish I didn't have to hear or read those words. Hateful words. Whether those words are regarding ethnicity, religion, geological location, sexual orientation, political affiliation, they are thrown around like it's nothing. It makes me sad that people don't think before they speak.

Voicing your message isn't about hurting or belittling other people, but that's what seems to happen when people are fired up.

I listen with and open mind to my family, friend's, and other people's thoughts, opinions, and ideas - but not so much when they are spoken negatively. We can say our opinions are based on facts, but we are also highly influenced by the world around us.

I love that I can listen to my parents, my sister, my friend Steph, my neighbors, other bloggers, and they are all different in what they believe. Should I hate them for having a different opinion from me? I think not. No one of us is the same, and I think that is a very good thing. I'm thankful I can form my own opinion based on all the very different people and experiences in my life, and I'm glad that you have the right to speak your opinion freely. But please, don't hate mine.

Embrace your rights, and be thankful.

2 comments:

*CPA* Su said...

I agree with you completely! There would be no reason to vote if we all saw everything the same way! I love how you put this..."but please, don't hate mine." Very well spoken!

Talia said...

I really like this post. Well said!!